Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Wie das Project geht

Also ich habe nicht so viel gemacht, wie ich machen sollte. Ich hatte eine Prüfung und bin krank geworden. Ich habe gemacht, nur was ich machen konnte.

I've been trying to think about approaches to my project and what things I can look at. A few ideas:

  • looking at the distribution and readership of German and Turkish newspapers throughout the city
    • how have the trends in readership changed and what is anticipated
  • Do the Turks want to learn German or is there an active resistance

  • visiting the Turkish Department at Humbolt and talking to Turkish Germans
  • is knowledge of Turkish positively characterized and sought after by employers, as Spanish is in the United States
  • How do they perceive the changing attitude towards learning German
  • acquiring demographics from the Turkish Department
    • Are their Germans that are actually interested in Turkish enough to study it
    • How many Turks and how many Germans participate
  • visiting public schools
    • is Turkish being taught like any other foreign; why or why not
  • I also plan to go to Kreuzberg and Prinzlauerberg in order to listen to the spoken language
    • a would like to spend a great amount of time listening to the dialects and languages that are being spoken & record what I hear and what kind of people are saying what and they have really good Apfelstrudel
Alright, so what I've seen so far.

I've been looking at newspaper articles about the new language requirements required for Turks to move to Germany in order to be reunited with their families. The law requires a fairly basic understanding of German, but many Turks believe it to be unfair. This requirement is only applicable to Turks, which has lead to accusations of racism. Despite the politics of the law, most believe it to be for the best. Once people enter the country, it is extremely difficult to keep track of people once they enter the country and having a prerequisite of linguistic understanding is the most basic way to ensure some basic level of integration. There is also a variant of German called Tuerkendeutsch, which has apparently become popular in youth and pop culture. One of the main actors from Run Lola Run (Moritz Bleibtreu) has even taken an interest in the subject, publishing an article named "You Come Frankfurt? Why it is Suddenly Cool to Speak German Like a Foreigner". I really like his title and I think he's stumbled on an interesting phenomenon.

I've also come across several books about German/Turkish relations, but I haven't had a chance to look at them yet Because of the nature of my project, most of my work will have to be done in Berlin. My topic is fairly new & will be interesting.

That's all for now.

No comments: