Wednesday, April 9, 2008

1st day of class and Composition One

Welcome to H A&S 397 B. Woo! Hertzlich Willkommen.


To be completely honest, I was a little bit afraid of what would happen on the first day. Being a German major and not an actor, I must say that a lot of the Viewpoints book went over my head. Jo-ha-kyu might as well have been ro-sham-bo. (That's rock paper scissors, just fyi.) The book also talked about working under short time limits, which didn't seem to insurmountable, except for the 15-20 things that it said could be incorporated into each composition. That just scared me a little. So alright, after the initial fright subsided, I was pleased with our compositions. I didn't think that mine was particularly impressive, but I wasn't very sure of myself. Hopefully I can work on this. I really like seeing all of the progressions through time that people incorporated. The idea to do a composition didn't even occur to me. Everyone in our group did a single event rather than a time progression, which was interesting, because they were common in all of the other groups. I also thought that it was interesting how much better I could understand the images after I heard the stories behind them. I'm not an art person, so interpretation is beyond my realm of understand. I also really enjoyed how different the stories behind the compositions were. It just really brought to my attention that such different people can be interested in the same things and create in such different ways.

I also really enjoyed Heidi's talk about the history of Berlin. I've been to Berlin to many of the places that she talked about and I never knew the history. I particularly enjoyed the parts about the wall and her brief mention of Hitler's bunker, which I have apparently stood on top up and didn’t even know!


I'm excited to see what we will do next time in class.

No comments: