Monday, April 21, 2008

Spät ist besser als nie..

Alright, I apparently dropped the ball on the blog about the ballet.

We went to see "A Midsummer night Dream" about a few or so ago. At first I was a little skeptical. I've always found Shakespeare very interesting and I really enjoy his puns and plays on words. I thought that a lot of what makes Shakespeare Shakespeare would be lost without the words. To my delight, the dancers performance was amazing and captured all of the important aspects of the characters and the relationships between them.

The only thing that I really noticed a lack of was names. For most of the performance, this didn't seem to be a problem. Something that seems so important to us in our daily lives, we can do without. That is until the second act, when a strange couple appeared, danced beautifully and had nothing to do with the story. This was a little confusing for everyone and upset me. This beautiful performance without words or the need for words suddenly lost its charm. These people were obviously connected to each other, but had nothing to do with the rest of the story. It seemed to take away from the validity of dance as a medium of communication, which is a real tragedy.

Overall I really enjoyed the performance. I am amazed that people are able to move so gracefully and convey so much without words. I would never be able to such things. I really liked the costumes. None of the costumes were over done and I felt that the dancers really need to fill their roles, the costumes didn't do all of the work for them. This was a very good experience and I would like to go again.

No comments: