Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Freiburg and more....

Alright, as some of you may or may not know, I have a friend, Janelle, who's in the same program as me, but studying in Freiburg. I left on Saturday morning for Freiburg, instead of taking the tour of Tuebingen with the intro course class. I'm told I didn't miss much. Anyway, I took the train to Freiburg, which by the way had 4 transfers and lasted 4 hours. All in all it wasn't too bad, as it did go through the black forest. The black forest seems like a rather silly concept for me. It's a bunch of really tall, skinny pine trees with underbrush. The underbrush is what makes it unique, as all other European forests are a little lacking in that department. The German country side is really interesting. Some parts look like Ohio or Eastern Washington, but with the occasional German village. Other parts are covered in green hills or thick forest. There are a few pictures I took on the way back:





As for Freiburg, after finally arriving and changing clothes, as Freiburg is a bit warmer than Tuebingen, we walked around a bit and headed to a beer garden by the river. Freiburg also has this really big park with a lake in the middle of it. We spent most of the weekend relaxing on the balcony and people watching. It was a bit too hot to do much else. We went up this cool hill and you could see all of Freiburg from it, so we took a bunch of pictures.

We also saw a nice little dog and played fetch with him.






Outside of that, we did a little sightseeing and a bit of shopping. We went to Ikea and I got a bunch of stuff for my room, which was a challenge to get back to Tuebingen on the train. Freiburg also has a really nice Church. Here is a picture of it. There are more posted on my photo bucket.

Anyway, that's about it for Freiburg. I had a lot of fun, but it's good to be back home. I got home around 6 on Tuesday night. Tuebingen is having a little street fair. I don't know how long it's going to last but it's exciting. Here's one of the pictures from it.




Anyway, that is it for now. Until the next time.

Rachel

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

WOW Rachel!! Those pictures are wonderful!! Makes me want to go there. Do you do these things on the weekends and go to classes during the weekdays?? What are your classes like? What do they consist of? Keep up w/the pictures. I love them.

Bonnie said...

Hi Rachel. This blog is clogging me brain. It won't take me password, won't take a new password, says I already have an account, but the thing won't take me. So if you get this.....it is a miracle. I have more to say but I am not wasting my fingers if you are not going to get this.TTYL

Bonnie said...

OK now, that worked. So I will tell you what I wanted to. We just got back from Key West. If you have not been there, put it on your list of where to travel. It was wonderful and didn't rain a drop. Glad of that!! Pretty soon, you will have a book written on your blog. I am happy that you get to see the world. Remember, don't take candy from a stranger. Post more pictures. Diane loves to see them. xxxx,ooooo TTYL